Flip through

Monday 15 September, 2008

Busy or not too busy?

"The problem with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat." - Lily Tomlin.

This status message, stamped with the red "busy" mark, somewhere in my friends' list in Gtalk, made me smile the moment I read it.
I saw a blur the next moment. I wiped my eyes, shaking my head, while trying to get high off the chill going down my spine. I have been getting those a lot these days and I am loving it!

I was still smiling though. That's what I have been doing lately, when I read something philosophical. You want to choose your words carefully in and around philosophy. Every word means what it means. You cannot blurt out words casually. Not that anyone would decapitate you for doing that, but why disregard the power of language?

The endless circulation of "touching" emails constantly remind us not to forget the meaning of different words representing different virtues. But what if we have forgotten the meaning of meaning?

"Bye" and "See You" do not mean the same.
"What's up" and "How was your day?" do not mean the same.
"Working hard" and "Working smart" do not mean the same.
"Want" and "Need" do not mean the same.
"Sleep" and "Rest" do not mean the same.
"Quiet" and "Peaceful" do not mean the same.

One cannot reach the skies by climbing the ladder! We are grounded for life, in life - the ladder is not. We reach the sky when we feel its presence above us, in front of us, around us. All we need to do is lie down and look straight ahead and there awaits the sky. But who has the time to lie down, you would ask.
"We do!", I would say.
I, for one, surely do!

the gaze,
the blue,
the answers?

Be engaged, not busy.

shamie,
15th september, 2008

6 comments:

  1. 1. wat made u write dis!!!
    2.u r spending too much time on internet.
    3.i really really dont want u to become "BAGGIO".
    4.*tho i love ur phil preachings
    5.pple have to "find" time....its not that they dnt have it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I only had 'some' time 'to think' about commenting on this post....but hell I am a bit busy...urrrr...... I mean engaged...

    Sorry will comment next time...keep writing..

    Nice job....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmhm..so true, and obviously very common....
    However I am wondering if @ all theres a tranformation in you. Dont worry, shall let you know when u r actually/i feel so...

    till then, keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey this is way too late... I know you asked me to spare 5 min to read and comment... I agree we all have time and for everything... To graze at the sky, to feel the breeze and to do whatever your heart feels... there are choices we make and I think they define us... Well there is difference between trying, doing and pretending to... maybe some people really work hard but those who work smart have time for everything... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @words:
    thank you for reading my post and sharing ur views on it. I really liked your last line. In fact it helped me differentiate "working hard" and "working smart" exactly!

    n btw, do i know u? i visted ur profile, but cudnt recognise u..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very thoughtful indeed!

    I believe it's all about priorities/choices. "I don't have time" is just an exuse..what it really means is I give more priority to other things over this!

    But i think it's time we learn the art of prioritising...And learn to value relations(be it with fellow humans or mother nature)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for NOT copying

Creative Commons License All content on this page is copyright protected and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.